Uniqueness


Quoting Ernest Hemingway “ It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best”

Moving amidst nature, with the cool breeze hitting my legs, as I pedal through the roads unseen… nothing provides me more eternal pleasure. The landscape, terrain and the alluring altitude, in addition to the lush green forage, provides a perfect heavenly experience. I have been passionate about cycling since my schooldays. It has been 20 years from then, the hunger for cycling in me has increased manifold. The memory of my first love, Hercules MTB single speed bike, gifted by my father, is still fresh. Initially, it was just a mere hobby but with passing days, perhaps I became addicted to cycling. Travelling from one city to other, covering a distance of 50 kms, is my fond memories of high school days. Cycling not only keeps me healthy and fit, the greatest advantage being my constant weight since 18 years, but also rejuvenates my mind and body.

Growing up, I came to know the advantage of cycling as an ecofriendly mode of communication and the urge in me to commute to work by cycle became stronger. I felt this as my small contribution towards reduction of pollution.

Lately, in 2016, I was introduced to the Randooneurring events by my fellow cyclist. The term Randonneuring refers to long distance cycling which comprises of 200 kms, 300 kms, 400 kms and 600 kms in 13.5 hrs, 20 hrs, 27 hrs and 40 hrs respectively. I can never forget my first 200 Brevet to Nandi Hills, Bangalore at an elevation of 4851 m above sea level. My joy knew no bounds when I accomplished it in 13 hrs. This instilled confidence in me and I was more focused on long distance cycling. In total, I have completed 200 kms brevet twice and 300 kms brevet twice, earning the title of a RANDONNEUR. I have been evolving after each ride, learning the technique and strategies along with increased stamina. Not to forget, I realized the importance of salts, bananas and dates during the long distance rides. The ecstasy of cycling during these events and the pleasure after its fruition--- a feeling which can be understood only by a cyclist. My next goal is to complete all the 4 brevets in a single year so as to win the title of SUPER RANDONNEUR. 

Apart from cycling, I have a wild passion of collection of rare bikes. Apart from my roadbike, I have 5 other extraordinary cycles. This obsession started a couple of years back, when I visited a bike shop, and caught the glimpse of a FATBIKE and TANDEM. I didn’t miss a chance to own the FATBIKE with a tyre dimension of 26”X4”, which provides more friction but enhanced stability. Riding it is an altogether different feeling and is a beauty to ride on weary roads. This is my favorite bike for endurance training. Exactly a month later, I bought the TANDEM, which is fun to ride with a companion. Next comes the UNICYCLE with a fat tyre. Seeing its picture on google, I was so fascinated to ride it and to my surprise, I got this as a gift imported from USA. Though I am yet to learn the skill of riding this, one day I shall roll over the roads of Bangalore on this deadly piece. Next on the list is PENNY FARTHING. Someday, I stumbled over a photo of this rare bike on internet, which was displayed on a shop in Kerela. Though I made up my mind to own it someday, hardly did I know that I could possess it so soon. A few days after I owned the Unicycle, I saw the Penny Farthing at a shop in Bhubaneswar, my home town. That made my day and the next moment I ordered it. This bike is actually the forefather of the modern day bicycle with a bigger front wheel and a smaller rear wheel. Riding this is not so easy and demands balance and concentration. Recently, this has been my most happening bike for short distance travel, the maximum being 46 kms. Next on the list is a customized RECUMBENT TRIKE (3 wheels), built from scratch. I am also a proud owner of an imported chopper bicycle. Last but not the least, my collection ends at a folding bike. Its not that my thirst for the collection of new bikes has ended, I may get one if I come across any unique models.

I feel so elated when CRPF personnel, kids, couples and pedestrians give a crazy look seeing my not-so-everyday cycles. Leaving all their work, eyes gazed on my cycles, some even gather around me to collect info about these unique bikes. This gives me a sense of pride and satisfaction… of having achieved something in life and motivating others to use bike as an ecofriendly mode of transport.

I intend to cycle around 17000 kms throughout India covering 29 states and 5 union territories in the upcoming years. 

There are so many different types of riding, so many exotic places to ride, and a lot of people to meet in doing so. The basic mantra is to start off slow, get some basic tips from other folk riders and enjoy the activity. Leaving the daily stress behind and just going out for an enjoyable ride is one of the best balances in life—and believe me its truly contagious.

In nutshell, “ I don’t have a bucket list, my BIKE-IT list is a mile long ..”






Unlike common mountain bikes, fatbikes (also lovingly called fatties) can be ridden on even the snowiest paths, softest meadows and slippery forest trails: The tires’ wheel width is almost double the size of a standard bike’s wheel width of over 2 inches, which also gives fatbikes their name.

Thanks to the extra fat tires, fatbikes can conquer every surface and allow cyclists to keep their balance at all times as the tires’ extra width allows the rider to float more easily over unstable terrain.

Fat bikes are basically mountain bikes with large rims and tires (97 mm/3.8 in or larger). Tubes on these bikes can be inflated to a low pressure, allowing smooth riding over a variety of terrain. While fat bikes have revolutionized winter riding through snow, they are also ideal for sand, boggy areas and basically any other rough terrain.

While the exact origin of fat bikes is disputed, they first came to public attention in Alaska in the 1980s when long-distance bike racers used homemade prototypes to take on the 1,600 km (1,000 mi) Iditarod Trail. Since then, a variety of designs were developed all over the world, and the mid-2000s saw the emergence of commercially produces fat bikes, bringing the sport to the mainstream.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAT TWIN BREVET: KGF 200 - ROCKY BHAI RIDE

Tale of Fat wheels

Penny Farthing !!